Monday, September 10, 2007

S-H-A-I

A New York day is comprised of New York Minutes. Here are a few from today.

ACT I



I got FOUR HUGS!! Totally made my day.


ACT II

I met a guy named Shai. S-H-A-I, he said. I noticed him in Union Square, in his fine leather shoes and dress pants narrow enough at the ankle to make him look foreign. He had on a pressed white shirt and navy blues. Investment probably.

Now I have smudges on my glasses and I'm dizzy from the wine. Did I mention he is my type? Tall. Yep. Dark. Yep. Well groomed. Yuh-huh.

Shai was not shy. "Shai" means "present" or "gift" in Hebrew. And he meant to give me one. He kissed me at the wine bar. And if I allowed myself to think back to 20 minutes earlier, on a terraced step at Union Square, when, as we left, I thought, "Huh, walked up. Exchanged pleasantries. Laughed. And left the spot a generous 7 minutes later...looks like a lady-market up here and he just picked his produce," maybe I wouldn't have been surprised by that kiss. Nor by the suggestion we spend the two hours before my next interview at the W Hotel on the corner.


ACT III

I'm underground on my way to the interview. Did I mention how humid and hot it is? I'm sweating like I'm bleeding out my pores.The subway drummer helps ease my mood.

Not so small miracles, the train is air conditioned. A middle-aged white man (MAWM) in Gap jeans, fashionable Tee, wire rimmed glasses and headphones...is rapping.

Across the aisle, impeccably timed, a kid's arm is being tickled by a stranger's open newspaper. He responds.

MAWM: "Gonna kiss this bitch. Gonna hit this bitch."

KID: "That makes me itch."

1 comment:

  1. Pemsi! it was a cultural event! sept 10th was world hug day organized over facebook - a major thing, they had hundreads of thousands committed to the hug and you were part of it. i'm jealous. it means something, it is the collective, the zeitgeist, the something acting to counter balance what the 11th is all about and i love it. look it up on facebook!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.