Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sound tricks

Sometimes I think the only thing missing from writing is the ability to capture sound. If only I could manipulate the letters to replay the sounds I hear. Like tonight, out the window across the way is a party. It's a warm night and the windows are open. Outside them it's black. Nothing to see but the images the muted voices make in my head. I see inkspots on heavy paper, black on white, landing in small spatters, and then big blots when voices get booming, punctuating themselves, then a streamer of ink as a young woman's voice calls in a surprised higher pitch.

I hear voices bubbling like a big pot of boiling water. Popcorn, pinging under the lid of a pot.

Imagine what the sound would look like if the party were in the dark. Soft swashes of watered-down ink, and sword-like slashes from a few fearful voices honking to penetrate the night, honking to hear they exist, even under cover of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.