Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Travel Notes

In respect to "Reduce, Re-use, Recycle," I'm posting a pithy little email I wrote to Bombo. Travel notes keep playing...

I just got to Portland from Canada today after about 9 hours of travel, bus and train. I swear I've been going non-stop. I LOVE traveling. Have met cool people on every leg of the trip, making reading the books I bought and doing the work I planned totally obsolete. Chatted with a National Geographic photographer/youth tour leader all the way to Seattle from Vancouver this morning. So engrossed in talking, I was surprised to find we were already rolling into Seattle!! Then slept on the train to Portland from Seattle just about the whole time...Last night went to bed at 2am after 2 nights of staying up late talking to the guy I rented the room from, and kicking around town with the spritely artist I met at the bookstore before dinner. We walked around in the rain and the dark and made up stories and art projects.

Charles, the guy I rented the room from, started a charity for youth who learn how to raise funds for charities of their choosing. Very cool. Lots of cool conversations ensued. Then I was cruising around town at a fast clip, maximizing my two days. I met up with a woman who is a friend of the photographer who came to my office last week. She moved to Vancouver from Santa Barbara a year ago. At dinner we discovered we have a good mutual friend who was Michael's personal assistant when he died. Smaller and smaller worlds.

Got picked up at the train station tonight in Portland and went straight to a bday party at a restaurant for my best friend and caught up with all her good friends here in town, who all know me because of Regina, and the few times I've been up here. I'm telling you I'm crashing RIGHT NOW. My butt is on the couch, my bags not even toted to my room yet. My lips won't talk, my feet won't move, my eyes are closing, it's a wonder my fingers are tapping these keys.

Ah but it's good to be here. Idgie the pooch sleeping on her bed to one side and Regina reading my play on the other, Gina off to bed for brain rest, and us intermittently chatting and reading Nico's blog, getting good baby fixes. From one coast to another, several cities, visiting in real time and surreal time (ie, virtual). Warm all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.