Friday, May 9, 2008

Bad Girls Good Women

Tania's in a play at Santa Barbara City College. It's her first...since grade school anyway. She took a couple of acting classes recently and before you know it, she's cast in a fantastic play with a fantastic part. No surprise to anyone who knows Tania, who paints from many pots.

There was one area, however, in which she did not claim expertise. When it came time for publicity photos, the director asked the actors to show in up costume. Tania and Lisa and I sat around the living room while Tania realized out loud that she should probably wear makeup. (Liberty taken in who said what.)

TANIA: They wear makeup on stage, right?
PEMA: Yes
TANIA: I'm not really sure what makeup to wear. Do you know?
PEMA: Not really.
TANIA: I don't know if I even have the right makeup. I'm a bad girl.
PEMA: Bad girls wear great makeup.
TANIA: Do you have any eye-shadow? Maybe eyeshadow.
PEMA: No.
TANIA: You're not a very good girl either.
LISA: I can't help. I only have eyeliner.
TANIA: We're all bad girls.
LISA: But great women.

1 comment:

  1. The other funny comment about my stage makeup is that I was told to wear "street makeup." Apparently, this means I don't need heavy theater makeup, but it sounded kind of sex-worker-like to me. Perhaps it depends what street we're talking about : )

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.