Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Head Heart Gut...Knee

I'm not voting. Should I vote? Don't even know if I'm registered.
Grumble bumble.
Driving to the precinct.
Who's it going to be?
A WOMAN?? How could I not vote this history into being?
Obama? Dreamer, compassionate, purposeful. I believe him, too.

So I head into the parking lot. Moments away. It hits me:
Head, heart, gut.
Which am I going to vote with? Head, heart or gut?
No idea.

I get into the booth. Dennis Kucinich is on the ballot and I realize, great! He's my heart candidate. If I voted my heart, I would vote for him, most believable, least shit-talker of all of them. But he's not in the running.

Next, head and gut. Hillary is definitely the logical choice. She's the head candidate. 30 years of service, firmly entrenched in a political machine that has proven to do good things for a nation. And she's a woman! But...I don't trust her. I just don't trust her, why don't I trust her? My gut says no Hillary--

And Bam! It's Obama. My gut says no Hillary, so I vote Obama. I fill in the little charcoal dot, and realize when I'm driving away I've voted KNEE.

Knee jerk.

Thank you to my other body parts for playing foil to the champion: reaction.

1 comment:

  1. you are very funny. this was the exact same gut wrenching turmoil i had on the way to the polls. i have never had a such a hard time voting before!

    luv you,
    laura

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.