Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stir Crazy in Yellowstone

So I fly into Jackson Hole, Wyoming, over the arresting and jagged Grand Teton Mountains, capped with snow and peaked like meringue, and I imagine the camping that will soon follow. Majestic wilderness, peace unfolding under the solitude of tree canopies and the sound of a creek rushing by. Flowers and butterflies floating on a summer br---eerrrtt!! That's the sound of the record scratching off its track. Imagine this five minute polaroid of camping life instead:

Setting: an R.V. park crammed with aluminum hulls on wheels and spilling with strangers and folding chairs and bicycles, electrical cords and hoses that hook up to running water. Just outside the edges of the park, which you can't really see because of the crammed nature of the people-in-parking-spaces carved out of the wilderness...is wilderness...of expansive grass and in the distance, roiling clouds in a limitless sky and those jagged jagged mountains.

Action: My sister-in-law, her daughter and two sons, and my brother, crammed into the camper playing cards, and laughing so hard that my niece pees her pants. That makes everybody laugh harder, but no one realizes till she gets up that Allie has left a mark on the couch! So Joyce has to take a picture of the spot, but she's laughing so hard, she can hardly stand straight to push the button. She keeps swaying and kind of falling over. She finally gets the shot while Allie is changing her clothes in the tiny camper crapper, and shortly it is time for bed. I'm on my laptop when the bigger of the two chihuauas, Chili, bounds over to me and barfs on my keyboard. Of course I flip out and attack the barf with wet Q-tips where it has seeped between the keys. Barely has the barf cleared, Q-tips still in hand, when the teacup chihuaua, Coco, pees at my feet, and Joyce's nose starts bleeding in the back of the R.V. Allie is by this time in the loft in her bed, laughing and laughing, and waiting for something else to happen.

Joyce says it's what happens when we're all in one small spot together for so long. I for one, liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.