Monday, January 28, 2008

Slip of the Ear

Regina and Gina both like to be Right. But in order to discern who owns that title, they first have to point out what's wrong. Then they pit their evidence against one another to find out who in the end will reign triumphant. Sometimes it's all one can do to believe the other...to the point of conspiracy and collusion with old ladies...

REGINA: Want a piece of my caramel?

GINA: CAR-mul?? It's CARE-uh-mel.

We're standing outside a drug store/grocery type place in Portland. They're waiting for me to finish at the ATM.

REGINA: It is NOT CARE-a-mul, it's CAR-mul.

GINA: I never said CARE-a-MUL. I said CARE-a-MEL.

REGINA: CAR-mul.

An old woman bent over the plants for sale nearby turns around.

OLD WOMAN: CAR-mul. They're CAR-muls.

Gina looks at the woman, looks at Regina. Grabs her iPhone from her pocket.

GINA: I'm looking it up on FICTIONARY.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.