Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Debra"

So, anybody who's followed along knows it's been a rough month. I still haven't emailed back the really cool people who sent nice messages reaching out in what's been a very sad time. (Until you kind folks do get that personal email back, THANK YOU for your note and thoughts and love. You haven't gone unappreciated.)

A few weeks ago, one of the vmails I get is Regina, friend from forever years ago, technically 15 but more like 10,000. She's my sistah. She leaves this message. I've spoken to hardly anyone in my tired grief, and she says, "I know things have been hard, but when you're ready for a fun story, call me."

When I call her, she says, "I met a guy. He's your type. I told him so. Then I told him about you and he seems not to care you're a state away."

I can ALWAYS count on RP to stir up a party.

Fast forward to the email I get from said guy-who's-my-type. We correspond here and there with the knowledge I'll be in Portland in a couple of weeks for a b-day party: funny email conversations, curious diction. When the PDX weekend arrives, I lose my glasses on the way there, and instead of meeting Mysterioso as planned, I have to get an eye exam and a pair of new specs on the fly. Regina makes an appointment for me...at Sears Optical.

So I get off the plane and head for...Sears. Destination of diplomats and champions, queens and Kennedys. And it occurs to me that all is not lost. Transportation and schedules point to the best rationale: Steve, the man I haven't met, Guy-Who's-My-Type, Sr. Mysterioso de Portlando, should meet me at...SEARS. I call him. He's down. Our first glance is a reflection in the mirror as I'm trying on frames. And forever emblazoned on the brain is this song, by Beck:

Enjoy. (There are two versions, because the second one is TOO funny to miss.)
"Debra" by Beck
"Debra" by Beck and a woman who rivals him in cool

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.