Friday, November 21, 2008

How to Be Sesame Street

Remember that little Sesame Street guy who is learning to read? Big and bold on the board in front of him is the word he is learning. He sounds out each of the letters and slowly--with so much suspense!!--pulls the sounds together to say the word:

BLOG

Buh Ll Ah Guh

BLl Ah Guh

((Meanwhile you're pinging in your seat, "blog! blog! it's blog! say BLOG!!!"))

BLl AhG

((BLOG! BLOG!! SAY IT!! (boing! boing! boing!))

BLOG. BLOG? BLOG!

And then he's pleasant and pleased and you, whew, are spent and relieved.

((Blog, I told you.))


The suspense of learning has really worn me out over the years, and my doctor suggested I do something regular to balance it out. So I turned to my pen and decided to share some tips of my own, sneak over to the teaching side a little while.

Take a peek at today's post on CarrieAndDanielle.com: Five Unexpected Tips to Get You Writing. Go ahead. Sound it out slowly. You'll be pleasant and pleased, like on Sesame Street, richer for your knowledge, like on Main Street, and maybe even a bit surprised, like on Wall Street.

1 comment:

  1. Ever checked out "If You Want to Write - A Book About Art, Independence and Spirit" by Brenda Ueland. Published 1938. Second edition, Graywolf Press, 1987.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO POST IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME.